Ocean View Nursing Home is situated in a breath-taking location on the outskirts of Camp Village, along the Dingle Peninsula and the Wild Atlantic Way. You can feast on views of the endless sky and of the ocean, with its ever-changing colours.
Life in our nursing home is full of rich experiences and laugher, and we’ve created a strong community for our residents. This community spirit has attracted the attention of the local media – recently Radio Kerry did a one-hour broadcast from Ocean View.
At Ocean View, we been delivering excellent care to our residents for nearly 30 years. We pride ourselves on giving individual care to each of our 35 residents. There’s an old Irish saying, “Níl aon tinteáin mar do thinteáin féin”, which translates as: There is no fireplace like your own fireplace. We want you to treat our nursing home as your own home, your own hearth. Home is about more than bricks and mortar. It’s a place where you feel happy and where you’re respected for who you are. That’s the sort of home we aim to create at Ocean View.
In light of the recent COVID-19 / Coronavirus situation, Ditchley Care have implemented a number of precautionary steps to help limit the spread of infection in our Homes. For the protection of nursing home residents, Nursing Homes Ireland has confirmed that visiting restrictions are now in place in nursing homes nationwide. No non-essential visiting, children or groups will be allowed.
All visitors are asked to contact prior to attending. Visitors should only seek to attend in urgent circumstances and the management reserve the right to impose full restrictions where necessary.
Ocean View Nursing Home
Dear Family member,
We understand that these are challenging times for you and your relative. Please be assured that the health and wellbeing of our residents and staff is our utmost priority. We are monitoring developments closely around the Covid-19 public health situation and will continue to implement all measures necessary across our homes prioritising health and safety.
What we are doing to ensure the safety of our residents, as informed by our public health experts and Nursing Homes Ireland (NHI), our representative body:
- A dedicated Steering Committee has been set up across all the Ditchley Care homes and is convening daily to monitor developments and provide all necessary guidance and support on a risk assessed basis.
- Each home has also established a similar sub-committee led by the Person in Charge (PIC), to provide guidance and leadership at a home level.
- A comprehensive employee communications policy has already been implemented around procedures to mitigate the risks associated with Covid-19.
- All staff are medically assessed including their temperature before commencing their shift.
- Restricted visiting is operating in our nursing homes.
- Increased cleaning and hygiene protocols are in place.
- Regular disinfection of all exposed contact surfaces such as door handles is taking place.
- Extra hand sanitiser dispensers are available throughout the home.
- We have enhanced our social distancing measures in the home.
We also want to keep you informed of what we will do should a resident or staff member present with Covid-19 symptoms. We are strictly following risk assessment guidelines from the HSE for residents and staff;
- If a resident displays ‘Covid-like’ symptoms (for example, fever, cough or respiratory difficulties) they will be immediately isolated and GP services contacted to assess condition and advise whether a Covid19 test is required.
- The Home will be following Clinical and Infection Control Guidance for Covid-19 for residential facilities issued by the HSE.
- Where possible residents who test positive for Covid-19 will be cared for in the home, a decision to transfer the resident will be made in conjunction with Senior Clinician, GP, Person in Charge, resident and family.
- Staff are following standard and droplet precautions with any resident displaying symptoms of coronavirus
- If a staff member displays any symptoms, they are asked to phone the PIC initially to be risk assessed and referred to local GP service for further assessment and guidance on self-isolation and testing if deemed appropriate.
- No staff member will be permitted to work unless cleared by GP/appropriate period of self-isolation completed or test proves negative.
Our main aim is to minimise the spread of this virus and keep our residents and our staff as safe as possible.
Please call your PIC directly if you have any queries.
For additional accurate and up-to-date information on Covid-19 please go to:
We are calling on your continued support during this time.
Thank you and keep safe,
Dedicated Care Team
The Ocean View Nursing Home Team
Ocean View Nursing Home offers personal care that allows us to treat you as the unique person you are. We’ll always consult with you to find out what you want, and you will always be the one to decide what care we give you. We have a very experienced director of nursing, who is supported by a dedicated and skilled care team. Our team is available for you 24 hours a day, so you can rest assured you’ll always be cared for.
Catering For All Dependency Levels
We Provide Exceptional
We start caring for you even before you arrive at our nursing home. Our nursing directors will meet you to find out what you need and design a care plan that will ensure you get the best possible care when you come to Ocean View.
Dedicated Activity Coordinators
Our Coordinators plan and facilitate activity programmes, dictated by the residents’ wishes, needs and interests.
Regular Outings & Day Trips
We arrange regular outings and day trips. Ocean View Nursing Home celebrates national and local events.
Various Therapeutic Activites
We devise a comprehensive care plan to meet the needs of each resident as well as providing age-appropriate routines and activities.
We Take Care
Of Your Needs
Once you become a resident, we’ll meet you regularly to keep your plan up to date. We’ll respect your dignity and your right to choose what happens to you at all times.
Ocean View Nursing Home
Ocean View is a spacious building with 28 bedrooms and a large day sitting room and conservatory, where you can meet your family and friends and socialise with other residents. If you prefer to have your own space, you can take one of our single bedrooms, and we also have twin bedrooms for those who have partners or like to share. All of our bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms for your privacy and comfort. We have wi-fi in the bedrooms and all over the house, for those who like to stay in touch with the world around them. We encourage you to bring your things with you from home, so you can easily settle into your new bedroom.
You’ll enjoy delicious meals in one of our two dining rooms, prepared by our award-winning catering team. If you would like a few moments of quiet reflection, you can spend some time in our prayer room. We encourage you to take a walk in our beautiful landscaped gardens, which are enclosed for your safety. While you walk, you can take in the spectacular sea and mountain views.
An Active Daily Lifestyle
Lifestyle & Activities
We have a wonderful variety of activities on offer at Ocean View, and you can find out what’s happening on our community noticeboard. Our activities coordinators have put together a mix of games, arts and crafts and exercise activities that will keep you busy and happy all day long.
If you like to be creative, you can get involved in singing or watercolour painting sessions, visit the theatre or listen to a poetry reading. And if you prefer to be active, there are fitness classes, nature walks and local outings to keep your body moving.
We deliver Engaging Dementia Sessions to residents living with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. Engaging Dementia is a technique that allows residents to communicate more effectively. It also draws on sights, sounds and touch to stimulate memory, establish routine and forge a meaningful connection with the world around you. This is a groundbreaking initiative and we’re delighted to be able to offer it to our residents with memory loss.
We like to be a little different in the activities we offer our residents. We recognise the great benefits that animals can bring into people’s lives, so we bring them into the nursing home for you to bond with. People find that the animals are a calming influence, and will give you lots of unconditional love. Staying on the theme of wellbeing, you can enjoy mindfulness and hand therapy, or get a glamorous haircut in our very own hairdressing salon. And if you just want to have fun, you can play parachute games or floor basketball – those sessions can become very lively.
Ocean View Nursing Home
We believe mealtimes are the most important part of our day and that good food is the greatest pleasure in life. We make sure our meals are both nutritionally balanced and delicious, with lots of appetising menu options to choose from. If you have special dietary needs, we can easily cater for those and make sure you can continue to enjoy tasty meals. Our meals are prepared fresh each day and you can eat them in the dining room or in the comfort of your room. As well as your main meals, we offer you tasty snacks and drinks throughout the day.
If you have difficulties in digesting food, we are very experienced in dealing with these issues and we’re here to help. It’s all part of making sure all of our residents are comfortable while they are here. We can help people with diabetes, dementia and low weight to enjoy a rich and varied diet and stay healthy and strong.